Unless you’ve been living under the digital version of a rock then you’re perhaps aware how Facebook finds itself in the eye of a major storm. So much so that Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has admitted the mistake on the company’s part and apologized for the way it handled data belonging to 50 million users.
The backlash of the latest controversy has perhaps been unprecedented. #DeleteFacebook was amongst the top trends worldwide on Twitter.
Deleting your Facebook account, however, remains a personal and subjective decision. What one can do although is be more aware about what all Facebook actually knows about you. Here is how you can check all that Facebook knows about you.
There are two aspects to this. First, the information that Facebook keeps on the basis of which it shows you those pesky ads. The second aspect is what all your timeline activities — every post shared, photo uploaded, message sent, item clicked on.
To find out about the first aspect, here’s what you need to do:
* Log on to Facebook
* Go to Settings
* Click on ads
* Here you will find a sub-head of ‘Your interests’ which includes ‘Hobbies and activities’, ‘News and entertainment’ pages you follow, apps you have downloaded and so on.
* Scroll down and you will see ‘Your information’ where there is profile about you, which Facebook shares with advertisers.
* It will include information like when you last travelled, which device is used to access Facebook etc.
* Facebook allows users to strike out any information they find irrelevant or incorrect, but doesn’t reveal whether it removes this information from your profile.
While this is your Facebook profile’s information shared with advertisers, there is a lot more that Facebook knows about you, which is the second aspect of this story. Facebook has an option to allow users to download all the data it has about you in one go.
* Open Settings
* Click on ‘Download a copy of your Facebook data’
* Click the “Start My Archive” button
* Enter your password
After this, you will receive an e-mail from Facebook stating your archive is ready for downloading. When the e-mail arrives, click on the link and then click the “Download” button on the page that opens. All the information will be in .ZIP file format. These ZIP files may be hard to access but you can double click on index.htm file to access all the information together.